Welcome to the Great Plains Nature Center
website. We hope you enjoy your virtual visit
- Learn about Volunteering at the Great Plains Nature Center!
- The Work Day event on Saturday November 15 has been cancelled.
- Bring In The Greens with us on Friday, December 5!
Our fourth Kansas Critters book is out!
Learn how to get a copy!
A Pocket Guide to
The eleventh in our series of
This Pocket Guide
Find out how you can get a copy
|If you are
interested in obtaining a federal
Interagency Senior Pass or Interagency Access Pass,
they are both available at our Owl's Nest Gift Shop
between 10 and 4, Monday-Saturday.
Here's how to get them.
(Payment MUST be by cash or check only:
No credit cards.)
GPNC does NOT distribute the
The GPNC is a cooperative partnership between:
We offer many scheduled programs and also host meetings for a variety of local wildlife, outdoors and environmental groups. Visit our Programs section for that information.
The Region 4 office of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism is located in our office wing. Visit their page on this web site to learn more about their hours, operations and personnel.
1. Provide opportunities to the public to learn about natural resources, especially the wildlife and plant species, of the Great Plains Region.
2. Provide visitors with enjoyable educational experiences that impart the importance of wise stewardship of natural resources and the roles and responsibilities of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, and the Wichita Department of Park and Recreation.
3. Serve as community resource for conservation and related informational materials, with emphasis on the importance of urban habitats to wildlife and people.
4. Serve as a resource for environmental education with school district, youth organizations, colleges and universities, conservation organizations, and other groups and individuals interested in wildlife and the environment.
5. Provide environmental educational services for and accommodate the physically challenged, senior citizens and other special needs groups.
The Staff of the Great Plains Nature Center is drawn from four different organizations.